Extra Extra, Eat all about it
Junzi on ABC 7!
We had a great time talking about bings & noodles with the ABC 7 Neighborhood Eats crew.😋
Matchstick potatoes are a staple in every Northern Chinese chun bing. We share chef lucas' recipe for matchstick potatoes below, let us know what you like to put in your chun bings, and if you make the recipe at home.
northern chinese matchstick potatoes
1 lb Yukon gold potatoes
1 bay leaf
2 cloves garlic
1 slice ginger
2 scallion stem, cut into 2" pieces
1/2 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground white pepper
2 Tbsp Chinese rice vinegar
1. Peel and thinly julienne potatoes. Wash vigorously in cold water until water runs clear.
2. In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Have a large ice bath ready.
3. In small batches, blanch potatoes in boiling water for 45 seconds, then shock in ice bath.
4. Drain potatoes in a sieve. The potatoes should still be crisp.
5. Heat oil over medium heat in a wok. Add bay leaf, garlic, ginger, scallions and Sichuan peppercorns. Heat until aromatic, about 2 minutes. Remove spices and reserve oil.
6. At high heat, to the reserved oil, add potatoes, salt, white pepper, and rice vinegar. Stir-fry until just warm, about 2 minutes.
7. Serve immediately, in a chun bing, over noodles, or on its own as a side dish.