Creative Sous Chef
FULL TIME (NEW YORK, NY)
Junzi is a young company with big ambitions. We want to create access to honest, real food in the US by building an ecosystem of fast casual restaurants, events, and private dining experiences. We currently operate 3 fast casual restaurants in New York, NY and New Haven, CT and are opening our fourth early next year. And as we move into the next stage of development, we are assembling a group of top like-minded people who want to make an impact.
That’s where you come in.
At Junzi, our food team is responsible not only for the food and products we serve at all of our restaurants, but also one-off events that explore and elaborate on our core mission of seeing global culture through the lens of Chinese cuisine.
Junzi operates multiple arms of business, including our fast casual bedrock, Junzi Kitchen, monthly private dinners we call Chef’s Table, and one-off collaborative events. We’re looking for somebody to help lead all of those efforts.
The Creative Sous Chef position at Junzi goes beyond executing a menu handed down to them, but digs further into figuring out, on a case-by-case basis, how to exemplify the best of Chinese food culture within the context of a modern American eating. We’re looking for someone who is not only skilled at creatively producing food with taste, aesthetic, and quality of ingredients in mind, but is also efficient and organized throughout the process from creation to large-scale execution.
This position requires a creative but flexible mind, and more importantly rigorous and careful management skills to translate those ideas into reality.
Your job as the Creative Sous Chef is to work with our chef and top management to elevate our product offerings and execute events at our levels of excellence.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
· Creating and exploring original dish concepts with respect to local/Chinese seasonality to fulfill consumer needs
· Optimizing food offerings based on consumer feedback, kitchen operations, food cost, and multiple-location scalability
· Always researching and developing the best and most adaptable food concepts to catalyze and build our company’s culture in alignment with top management’s vision and goals
· Has thorough understanding of real food cost, becoming aligned through the use of proper sourcing and appropriate cost efficiency to ensure production of the best quality product
· Communication with supply chain management
· Staying up to date on global food news and trends
· Leading, planning, and executing events, from private tastings to 1000x exhibition tastings
· Collaborative and open-minded to new ideas and people
· Attentive to details in process creation
· Loves people and food
· Big picture thinker but highly detailed in implementation of ideas
· High energy and natural optimist
· Very accepting of constructive criticism in an effort to grow personally and professionally
· Driven and has high standards for her/him/themself as well as others
· A hands-on work attitude
· Thrives under pressure
· Genuine curiosity about Chinese cuisine, culture, and tradition
· Experience cooking in professional kitchens, capable of working under pressure in team environments and adaptable to last minute challenges
· Always curious, skillful and critical researcher, up to date on current food news
· Previous menu and food design experience
· Exceptional communication skills and has an intuitive emotional understanding of others
· Familiar with local consumer taste and aesthetic preferences
· Reasonably technologically savvy, especially on Google Drive (Docs, Sheets).
· A high level of independence, willingness to make decisions and strong entrepreneurial drive
· Have no issue adapting in short time periods of change
· Make good food
It’s a plus (but not required) if you have:
· Experience in R&D in the fast casual segment
· Experience in events, pop-ups and/or exhibitive cooking
Please submit cover letter and resume in a single PDF and email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include [Creative Sous Chef Position] in the email subject line. We are now accepting applicants for this position. Best of luck!
Junzi is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.